When I finished my hike in 2007, I ended up giving a talk about my experience. Friends, family and acquaints have also asked me several questions. They are listed here.
- When did you start and finish your hike?
I stared April 3rd and finished on October 4th
- How did you get your trail name? Who or how did you get it?
My friend Joe gave me the trail name Fuzzy Monkey prior to starting my hike.
- How much money did you spend on your hike?
I honestly do not remember, nor did I keep track. This was my first long distance hike. If I had to put a number on it I’d say about $4,000 but that also includes new gear.
- What was your favorite part of the trail?
There are many but if I had to do it over again, I would spend more time in the Grace in Highlands and the 100 mile wilderness in Maine.
- Did you go by yourself or with other people?
I initially did not have any plans to hike with anybody. I had heard that it was easy to meet up with other people if you wanted to. I did hike certain sections with other people sometimes for weeks at a time.
- How did you get the time off from work? What do you do for a living?
I was not able to get the entire 6 months off, so I ended up leaving my day job. Upon my return I changed careers and was hired on for retail work.
- How many miles did you hike a day?
When planning out this hike, I seem to remember needing to average 17 miles a day to finish in the time “window” I set for myself. This was just planning. As it turns out I averaged about 13/14 miles a day.
- How many days off does this include?
To be honest I did not keep track of this either. I did injure myself in Salisbury, CT and took several days off to heel. I also took may half days off while in town doing chores. As for an exact number of days off, I’m unsure.
- Would you do it again?
Yes, Absolutely!! When can I go again?